Did you know that April 22nd is National Jelly Bean Day? If not now you know! I love jelly beans especially some of the newer fun flavor’s that have come out. Actually the green and black traditional one’s are still my very favorite flavors. What are your favorite flavors?
There are some interesting facts about jelly beans I bet you don’t know about such as that it takes 7 t0 21 days to make a single jelly bean. Isn’t that just wild how long it takes? I know I never knew that. I’ve never stopped to think about it until I started researching it. Now I get to share some of my findings.
History Facts About Jelly Beans
- 1800’s Jelly Bean’s where made my by an unknown American candy maker.
- 1860’s is when Jelly Beans were advertised by a Boston confectioner named William Schrafft within the Civil War troops. He urged customers to buy and give to troops to boost morale.
- 1930’s is when Jelly Beans became part of Easter.
- 1976 was when eight original flavors were introduced. They were the very cherry, root beer, cream soda, tangerine, green apple, lemon, licorice and grape
- 1981 was when the blueberry Jelly Belly jellybean was created for President Reagan’s inauguration.
- 1983 was when jelly beans got to go into outer space on the 1983 Space Shuttle Challenger.
- The very cherry jelly belly has been the #1 flavor until 1998 but then came back into #1 in 2003.
How Would You Celebrate Jelly Bean Day?
I bet there are some interesting ways to make Jelly Bean Day fun. What would you do? Here are some ideas that would be fun to do.
- You could make cupcakes or just a regular cake and decorate with them.
- You could just buy a bag and eat them. YUM!
- I know, how about getting a shirt with them on it to wear.
- Use jelly beans to make a craft with such as a wreath, bracelets, or butterflies.
- Play a blind folded taste game.
Jelly Bean Brands
There are different brands now than just your traditional jelly beans. I’m sure there are more than what you will find on this list but here are some of those brands that I know of.
- Jelly Belly
- Sweet Tarts
- Jolly Rancher
So tell me, how will you celebrate National Jelly Bean Day?